Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Mon January 7, 2013
2012 Brought More TN Tornadoes
New data shows Tennessee had more tornadoes in 2012 than in previous years. The National Weather Service says 34 tornadoes were recorded across the state last year with 20 occurring in March alone. NWS meteorologist Bobby Boyd says the average year brings 21 tornadoes to Tennessee.
While the number of tornadoes is up, the amount of deaths they cause is down, with only three in 2012. 2011 was the year with the largest number of tornadoes. One-hundred and thirteen were reported, resulting in 34 fatalities.