Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri July 19, 2013
2012-13 Ky. Budget Closes with $70.6 Million Surplus
State Budget Director Jane Driskell announced Friday that Kentucky closed the 2012-2013 fiscal year with a General Fund surplus of $70.6 million.
Officials attribute the surplus to slowed spending by cash-strapped state agencies, as well as a small bump in General Fund revenues. Driskell warns, however, that the fiscal year that just began July 1 extends the budget cuts that were in place last year, and state agencies will continue the challenges of delivering services with fewer dollars and higher costs.
Gov. Steve Beshear has reserved $45 million of the surplus to cover necessary government expenses for fiscal year 2014. The remaining $25.6 million will be deposited into the Budget Reserve Trust Fund, the commonwealth’s rainy day fund, increasing its balance to just over $147 million.