Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
Fri June 28, 2013
101st Seeking To Save 'Band of Brothers' Regiment
The 101st Airborne Division is trying to save their 506th Infantry Regiment, which traces its lineage back to the "Band of Brothers" of World War II fame, from the Army's massive restructuring. The Army announced earlier this week that at least 12 combat brigades across the country are to be eliminated in the coming years, among them the 4th Brigade Combat Team at Fort Campbell, Ky.
The brigade draws its lineage back to 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, which parachuted into Normandy during D-Day. Troops under the 506th flag also have fought in Vietnam and Iraq and are currently serving in Afghanistan. Brig. Gen. Mark Stammer, of the 101st Airborne, said they want to move the regiment's battalions to other brigades at Fort Campbell to maintain its legacy with the 101st Airborne Division.