Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri September 4, 2009
101st Command Heading to Afghanistan in May, June
Fort Campbell, KY – The commanding general of the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell says the 101st will go back to Afghanistan starting in May and June. Major General John Campbell says the deployment of the 82nd Airborne, which replaced the 101st when it left, has been extended about 50 days.
This deployment for the 101st of about 1,100 to 1,200 soldiers is coming about six months earlier than expected. It had previously been announced that the 3rd Brigade Combat Team will deploy in late fall 2009 to Afghanistan for a 12-month deployment. The other infantry brigades are expected to deploy to Afghanistan or Iraq, though their destinations have not yet been announced.