Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Fri September 4, 2009
101st Command Heading to Afghanistan in May, June
Fort Campbell, KY – The commanding general of the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell says the 101st will go back to Afghanistan starting in May and June. Major General John Campbell says the deployment of the 82nd Airborne, which replaced the 101st when it left, has been extended about 50 days.
This deployment for the 101st of about 1,100 to 1,200 soldiers is coming about six months earlier than expected. It had previously been announced that the 3rd Brigade Combat Team will deploy in late fall 2009 to Afghanistan for a 12-month deployment. The other infantry brigades are expected to deploy to Afghanistan or Iraq, though their destinations have not yet been announced.