Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Mon August 13, 2012
101st Airborne (Air Assault) Celebrates 70th Anniversary
Thousands of active, veteran and retired soldiers and their families gather at Fort Campbell this week to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the 101st Airborne Division, even as some of its soldiers leave for Afghanistan. The elite airborne-air assault division was created August 16, 1942 as the Army searched for a new type of division that could be quicker, more aggressive and able to parachute behind enemy lines. The 101st would go on to redefine war strategies from World War II to Vietnam to the Middle East. The weeklong event at Fort Campbell includes games, a concert, an air show and memorials to fallen soldiers.