Originally published on Tue September 2, 2014 1:31 pm
The recent heat wave in the Midwest has sped up the harvesting process for local wine producers. In addition, the heavy amount of rainfall throughout the spring has cost some vintners a significant amount of money.
According to Jerry Smith, owner of River Ridge Winery in Commerce, Mo., vintners want little to no rainfall after late June.Vintners need it to be dry when they harvest their grapes.
Missouri’s 8th District US Representative Jo Ann Emerson submitted her letter of resignation to Governor Jay Nixon and House speaker John Boehner today. The 8th district includes 27 of the state’s south-east and south-central counties. Now, Nixon must call for a special election to fill out the remainder of Emerson’s term.
This year's corn harvest is ahead of schedule with four percent in already, compared with just one percent at this time last year. The harvest is three to four weeks ahead of schedule in most of the corn belt because an unusually warm spring allowed farmers to plant earlier. Most then expected a good year, but the U.S. Department of Agriculture has been reducing its estimates of the nation's harvest amid a severe drought centered over the Midwest.
Missouri’s emergency cost-share program has approved over 3,700 farmer applications for urgent relief during this summer’s drought. Governor Jay Nixon established the program to provide water after declaring Missouri in a State of Emergency. The aid totals close to 19 million dollars and covers 90 percent of emergency water projects on farms. Individual farmers will have to pay the remaining 10 percent for their project.
Officials in Cape Girardeau County removed approximately 25 animals from a residence near Millersville, Missouri. The Cape Girardeau County Sheriff’s Department searched the home of Paulette Tidwell after receiving a tip about unlicensed commercial breeding and substandard conditions; as well as a large sale of animals that happened last Saturday. The dogs, cats, equines, and birds were rescued and transported to St. Louis for placement in licensed Missouri shelters.
Missouri Governor Jay Nixon is opposing budget cuts to a health care program for the blind. The House budget committee proposed to cut the state’s current 28 million dollar program and replace it with a new 6 million dollar program. The proposed cuts are expected to go in front of the entire House next week. Nixon is urging representatives to support the current program which covers healthcare costs like prescriptions and doctor visits and serves over 2,000 blind Missourians.