Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Tue May 22, 2012
WKU's Gatton Academy Rated Best High School in America
Newsweek magazine has named the Carol Martin Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science at WKU as the nation's top high school.
America's Best High Schools 2012, released online Sunday and in the May 28th print edition, recognized 1,000 schools from across the U.S. The Gatton Academy was ranked fifth in the magazine's 2011 list.
Newsweek's methodology for their rankings sought to highlight schools that focus on providing solutions to the challenges of 21st century education and prepare students for both college and life. Dr. Julia Roberts, executive director of the Gatton Academy, said those components reflect the high-level learning necessary for successful students in a globally competitive society.
The Gatton Academy, which opened in 2007 and is funded by the Kentucky General Assembly, is the state's only state-supported residential high school with an emphasis in math and science.