Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
Tue November 18, 2008
Winter Fire Safety
By Carrie Pond
Murray, KY – The first prolonged cold period this winter is causing officials to caution homeowners to be wary of house fires. Kentucky State Fire Marshal William Swope says the main cause of residential fires in the winter time is the use of space heaters.
"We find often that they are placed too close to combustible materials such as bedding and things of that nature. We would encourage everyone to look at the manufacturer's safety precautions, which say that those kinds of materials should be at least 3 feet in distance away from heating equipment of that nature."The combination of cold weather and the use of holiday lights and candles also contribute to house fires. Last year, Kentucky was ranked ninth in the country for fire-related deaths.