Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Tue November 18, 2008
Winter Fire Safety
By Carrie Pond
Murray, KY – The first prolonged cold period this winter is causing officials to caution homeowners to be wary of house fires. Kentucky State Fire Marshal William Swope says the main cause of residential fires in the winter time is the use of space heaters.
"We find often that they are placed too close to combustible materials such as bedding and things of that nature. We would encourage everyone to look at the manufacturer's safety precautions, which say that those kinds of materials should be at least 3 feet in distance away from heating equipment of that nature."The combination of cold weather and the use of holiday lights and candles also contribute to house fires. Last year, Kentucky was ranked ninth in the country for fire-related deaths.