Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Thu March 15, 2012
Wickliffe-Cairo Bridge Hit by Barge
The US 51 bridge over the Ohio River between Wickliffe, Kentucky and Cairo, Illinois is back open after being struck by a barge late last night. The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet says the barge tow was headed downstream when it struck a pier on the Kentucky side just after 11:00 P.M. Inspectors reopened the span three hours later after determining that no structural damage had occurred. Officials say around 5,500 vehicles cross the bridge every day.