Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Sun September 23, 2012
Whitfield vs Hatchett for Congressional Seat
Benton Kentucky’s Charles Hatchett ran against Ed Whitfield in 2010 for Kentucky’s 1st District seat in the House of Representatives. After only receiving 29 percent of the vote in that contest, he’s challenging the Congressman again, believing that the district needs a blue-collar representative to voice the concerns of the people. But, beating an incumbent isn’t easy—especially one that has held a Congressional seat since 1994. Casey Northcutt explores the difficulties Hatchett and other challengers like him face in political races.