Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Tue February 7, 2012
Whitfield on Eggner's Ferry Bridge
U.S. Rep. Ed Whitfield, (KY-01), Chairman of the House Subcommittee on Energy and Power, released the following statement today on the Eggner Ferry Bridge:
“I understand the impact the closure of the Eggner Ferry Bridge is having on many aspects of the lives of those who use it; ranging from the inconvenience of a longer work commute to a potentially life threatening situation of delayed emergency services or medical care. That is why I am working to ensure all federal agencies with jurisdiction remain on top of this incident.
Several people have raised the question of ferry service. I have been in touch with the Corps of Engineers to ask that they be prepared to assist with any needs from the federal level. I will continue to work with the Corps of Engineers and the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, along with other state and local officials to see if the option of a ferry service can become a reality.
I was at the bridge the afternoon following the collapse, and saw firsthand the devastation this collision caused, and I’m truly thankful that there were no injuries or loss of life from this terrible accident. My number one goal is to quickly and safely restore transportation over Kentucky Lake and I will continue to monitor this situation closely and work to ensure safe and timely restoration of travel over Kentucky Lake by whatever means necessary.”