Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Wed April 7, 2010
White Nose Bat Syndrome Spreads
By Angela Hatton
Nashville, TN – The USDA Forest Service has identified nine bat species in Kentucky and Tennessee that are susceptible to white nose syndrome or WNS. More than a million bats have died from the fungal disease, which causes weight loss and disrupts hibernation cycles. So far, officials have confirmed WNS in eleven states, including northwestern Tennessee. Many caves are now closed to the public in order to limit the spread of the disease.