Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Tue May 22, 2012
Whitaker wins 2nd district Democratic nomination
Mayfield pharmacist Kelly Whitaker is the Democratic candidate for the 2nd District State House seat after beating former Mayfield Mayor Arthur Byrn last night.
This is Byrn's second failed attempt at office after losing his incumbent bid for Mayor in 2009. Whitaker, a newcomer to politics, says her next step is to gain support from the Democrats that supported Byrn, as well as 2nd district Republicans.
“Pro-family, pro-life pro-gun rights, pro-traditional marriage… I believe that my views reflect their views. I believe that I am the candidate that will speak up for them, be the champion for them in Frankfort and make government more accountable to them.”
The 2nd district encompasses all of Graves County and part of McCracken. Whitaker is a graduate of Emerge Kentucky which is a program designed to increase the number of women involved in Kentucky politics. She faces Republican nominee Richard Heath in the fall.