Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- Department of Education Says Midnight Meetings for Dropout Grants Unnecessary
Mon May 7, 2012
Whitaker Among Emerge Kentucky Graduates on Ballot This Year
Mayfield’s Kelly Whitaker is one of five women on the ballot this year that are graduates of Emerge Kentucky. A group of Democratic women started the program to increase the number of women involved in Kentucky politics.
Whitaker (D) is running in the 2nd State House District race against primary opponent Arthur Byrn. The Courier-Journal reports over the past three years, 46 women have graduated from the program and 20 others are expected to complete the program in a few weeks.
Other Emerge KY Graduates include state Rep.Rita Smart of Richmond, who is seeking a second term; Wanda Crupper Hammons and Kelly Whitaker. Attica Scott is running for Louisville Metro Council and Loretta Crady is seeking another term as Hardin Circuit Court Clerk.