Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Tue February 2, 2010
Western KY Tobacco Farmers Opposed Bill
By Chris Taylor
Lynn Grove, KY – Some Western Kentucky tobacco farmers are concerned about a proposed change to the way the state taxes smokeless tobacco. Lynn Grove grower Richard Smotherman claims the proposed House legislation would convert the excise tax from a weight-based rate to one that based on price. He joined US Smokeless Tobacco Company lobbyists in Frankfort last week, enlisting the support of Fifth District Representative Melvin Henley; who tells the Murray Ledger and Times the move is unfair to tobacco growers.