Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Tue February 2, 2010
Western KY Tobacco Farmers Opposed Bill
By Chris Taylor
Lynn Grove, KY – Some Western Kentucky tobacco farmers are concerned about a proposed change to the way the state taxes smokeless tobacco. Lynn Grove grower Richard Smotherman claims the proposed House legislation would convert the excise tax from a weight-based rate to one that based on price. He joined US Smokeless Tobacco Company lobbyists in Frankfort last week, enlisting the support of Fifth District Representative Melvin Henley; who tells the Murray Ledger and Times the move is unfair to tobacco growers.