Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue February 2, 2010
Western KY Tobacco Farmers Opposed Bill
By Chris Taylor
Lynn Grove, KY – Some Western Kentucky tobacco farmers are concerned about a proposed change to the way the state taxes smokeless tobacco. Lynn Grove grower Richard Smotherman claims the proposed House legislation would convert the excise tax from a weight-based rate to one that based on price. He joined US Smokeless Tobacco Company lobbyists in Frankfort last week, enlisting the support of Fifth District Representative Melvin Henley; who tells the Murray Ledger and Times the move is unfair to tobacco growers.