Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Thu January 19, 2012
West Tennessee Port Gaining International Interest
By Todd Hatton
Murray, KY – Officials with the Cates Landing port on the Mississippi River in Lake County say the project is beginning to attract international interest. According to the Union City Daily Messenger, a delegation of economic development officials from China plans a visit to the site. Port officials are trying to secure Foreign Trade Zone status for West Tennessee. The slack water port will handle river barge traffic, improving bulk cargo handling for northwest Tennessee. Officials have said dock construction is expected to be completed in late summer.