Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
2012 Tennessee General Assembly
Thu April 26, 2012
Welfare Drug Testing Passes Tennessee Senate
A measure requiring Tennessee welfare recipients to go through drug testing passed the state Senate yesterday. The legislation requires new welfare applicants to undergo a special screening process. If suspicion is raised after the screening, the applicant would be drug tested. The proposal differs from an original version that would have required blanket testing, which Attorney General Robert Cooper Jr. says is unconstitutional. The companion bill is awaiting a vote in the House Finance Committee.