Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
Wed November 7, 2012
Watkins Wins Third District House Seat in Ky.
Republican Jason Crockett failed to keep Kentucky's third district house seat republican Tuesday night. Democrat Gerald Watkins won the third district seat which includes much of McCracken County. Current 3rd district representative republican Brent Housman didn't seek a second term. Watkins won the race with 59 percent of the vote. Watkins is a Paducah native and has served on the Paducah city commission for six years. He says,
“I think the people of Paducah and McCracken County recognize the hard work that I have done and feel like and have the confidence that I’ll do a good job in Frankfort. So, I’m just really gratified at the kindness, support of the people, my family friends, and the people of the community.”
Crockett says he ran a truthful campaign against Watkins, who has run for office before. He says,
“He thought I had run a negative campaign, which is not true. I did point out his record and if his record is negative that’s not my fault. I do wish him the very best. The people have spoken and I have to live with that and by all means I support that.”
Watkins says he wants to revise the tax code to make it more business friendly, address the unfunded public pension plan, revise the criminal code and pass a welfare reform bill.