Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue January 19, 2010
Wal-Mart Drops FLW
By Chris Taylor
Benton, KY – Wal-Mart is no longer sponsoring Benton-based FLW Outdoors' tournament bass fishing competitions. The retail giant has been the outfits' title sponsor for years, but has declined to come on board this season. FLW has recruited some new sponsors this year, including Goodwill Industries and Rapala. It has also made changes to its upcoming tournament schedules and lowered some entry fees to make it easier to compete. Local pro angler Dan Morehead tells the Paducah Sun the economic recession has made it more difficult to fish for a living. With reduced sponsorships across the board, some nationally established touring pros are reportedly dropping out this year.