Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Wed December 16, 2009
Voter Registration Deadline
By Tony McVeigh/ Paco Long-Mendez
Frankfort, KY – An important voter registration deadline in Kentucky is rapidly approaching. We get details from Kentucky Public Radio's Tony McVeigh.
Kentucky's primary election next spring will determine nominees for a U-S Senate seat, congressional seats, the General Assembly, and numerous local offices. But if you want to change your party affiliation before the May 18th primary, you need to do it before December 31st. "If you do so in time, you'll be eligible to vote in all the primary elections of that new party, plus any nonpartisan elections. If you change your political affiliation after that deadline, you'll only be able to vote in nonpartisan elections."
Les Fugate of the Secretary of State's office says the deadline also affects candidates who wish to switch political party affiliation and run in their new party's primary. If you want to mail your voter registration card, it must be postmarked by December 31st.