Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Wed December 16, 2009
Voter Registration Deadline
By Tony McVeigh/ Paco Long-Mendez
Frankfort, KY – An important voter registration deadline in Kentucky is rapidly approaching. We get details from Kentucky Public Radio's Tony McVeigh.
Kentucky's primary election next spring will determine nominees for a U-S Senate seat, congressional seats, the General Assembly, and numerous local offices. But if you want to change your party affiliation before the May 18th primary, you need to do it before December 31st. "If you do so in time, you'll be eligible to vote in all the primary elections of that new party, plus any nonpartisan elections. If you change your political affiliation after that deadline, you'll only be able to vote in nonpartisan elections."
Les Fugate of the Secretary of State's office says the deadline also affects candidates who wish to switch political party affiliation and run in their new party's primary. If you want to mail your voter registration card, it must be postmarked by December 31st.