Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Wed April 25, 2012
UT Martin Student Arrested Before Planned Assault
A former University of Tennessee at Martin student was arrested Tuesday night near the Boling University Center before a planned assault could be carried out against a former girlfriend and her male friend.
Maxwell T. Williams, 20, of Yorkville, was arrested around 7 p.m. after the university’s Department of Public Safety was notified by the female, a current UT Martin student, that threats were made by Williams to her and a male friend, also a current UT Martin student. Williams was stopped in a university parking lot and items observed in the vehicle that indicated a viable threat.
The vehicle and immediate area were secured, and Williams was arrested. University officials decided not to issue a timely warning alert as the situation was quickly controlled and no continuous imminent danger was posed to the campus or community.
The investigation continues.