Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Thu July 30, 2009
USEC Projects Longer PGD Life
By Chris Taylor
Paducah, KY – Energy company USEC says the operational life of the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion plant will go beyond its scheduled end in 2012. Officials say the decision to stop construction of a new uranium enrichment plant near Portsmouth, Ohio is the reason the Paducah plant will see longer use. USEC has stopped building the new plant because the Department of Energy denied backing a $2 billion loan.
Paducah Mayor Bill Paxton says this is obviously good news for the area, but knows the plant will ultimately close due to operational expenses.