Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Thu July 30, 2009
USEC Projects Longer PGD Life
By Chris Taylor
Paducah, KY – Energy company USEC says the operational life of the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion plant will go beyond its scheduled end in 2012. Officials say the decision to stop construction of a new uranium enrichment plant near Portsmouth, Ohio is the reason the Paducah plant will see longer use. USEC has stopped building the new plant because the Department of Energy denied backing a $2 billion loan.
Paducah Mayor Bill Paxton says this is obviously good news for the area, but knows the plant will ultimately close due to operational expenses.