Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Mon January 30, 2012
Update on Eggner's Ferry Bridge
By Gary Pitts
Murray, KY – Specially trained divers working for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet plan to be at the Eggner's Ferry Bridge first thing Tuesday to begin their underwater examination of Pier 6 and two other piers that support the bridge structure. Officials say the divers will not be placing monitoring sensors on the piers at this time, but if the piers have shifted, there should be evidence on the lake floor. On Saturday, the U.S. Coast Guard reopened a portion of the channel passing underneath the bridge to some commercial traffic. However, the agency continues to maintain a safety zone for one mile on either side of the bridge, where recreational traffic is not allowed.