Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Wed January 18, 2012
University of Pikeville Bill Introduced in House
By Kenny Colston
Frankfort, KY – A bill that would make the University of Pikeville the ninth state university has been filed in the Kentucky House. House Speaker Greg Stumbo and state Representative Leslie Combs announced the filing yesterday. But most of the details of the bill were already known.
First, the bill takes thirteen million dollars in coal severance tax funds and gives it all to the currently private university. The university has said it will lower tuition by ten thousand dollars if it's made a state university. And it will increase its student population to two thousand students a year.