Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Wed January 18, 2012
University of Pikeville Bill Introduced in House
By Kenny Colston
Frankfort, KY – A bill that would make the University of Pikeville the ninth state university has been filed in the Kentucky House. House Speaker Greg Stumbo and state Representative Leslie Combs announced the filing yesterday. But most of the details of the bill were already known.
First, the bill takes thirteen million dollars in coal severance tax funds and gives it all to the currently private university. The university has said it will lower tuition by ten thousand dollars if it's made a state university. And it will increase its student population to two thousand students a year.