Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Wed January 18, 2012
University of Pikeville Bill Introduced in House
By Kenny Colston
Frankfort, KY – A bill that would make the University of Pikeville the ninth state university has been filed in the Kentucky House. House Speaker Greg Stumbo and state Representative Leslie Combs announced the filing yesterday. But most of the details of the bill were already known.
First, the bill takes thirteen million dollars in coal severance tax funds and gives it all to the currently private university. The university has said it will lower tuition by ten thousand dollars if it's made a state university. And it will increase its student population to two thousand students a year.