Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Wed January 18, 2012
University of Pikeville Bill Introduced in House
By Kenny Colston
Frankfort, KY – A bill that would make the University of Pikeville the ninth state university has been filed in the Kentucky House. House Speaker Greg Stumbo and state Representative Leslie Combs announced the filing yesterday. But most of the details of the bill were already known.
First, the bill takes thirteen million dollars in coal severance tax funds and gives it all to the currently private university. The university has said it will lower tuition by ten thousand dollars if it's made a state university. And it will increase its student population to two thousand students a year.