Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Wed January 18, 2012
University of Pikeville Bill Introduced in House
By Kenny Colston
Frankfort, KY – A bill that would make the University of Pikeville the ninth state university has been filed in the Kentucky House. House Speaker Greg Stumbo and state Representative Leslie Combs announced the filing yesterday. But most of the details of the bill were already known.
First, the bill takes thirteen million dollars in coal severance tax funds and gives it all to the currently private university. The university has said it will lower tuition by ten thousand dollars if it's made a state university. And it will increase its student population to two thousand students a year.