Most Active Stories
- While Dangerous Predicted Winter Weather Won't Contend With '09 Ice Storm
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- 3 Educators Selected For KY Teacher Hall of Fame
- EKU Plans Response To White Supremacist Flyer Posted In Classroom Buildings
Tue December 11, 2012
United Health Foundation Ranks Kentucky 44th Healthiest State
The United Health Foundation has again ranked Kentucky among the nation’s most unhealthy states. The foundation’s annual America’s Health Rankings put Kentucky at 44th healthiest, the same as last year’s findings.
The commonwealth has the nation’s highest adult smoking rate, with nearly a third of adults lighting up. Kentucky also has the highest rates of preventable hospitalizations.
The state fared well in some other health factors, with low instances of binge drinking and violent crime.
Vermont is the nation's healthiest state, according to the report. Louisiana and Mississippi tied for the unhealthiest.