Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue December 11, 2012
United Health Foundation Ranks Kentucky 44th Healthiest State
The United Health Foundation has again ranked Kentucky among the nation’s most unhealthy states. The foundation’s annual America’s Health Rankings put Kentucky at 44th healthiest, the same as last year’s findings.
The commonwealth has the nation’s highest adult smoking rate, with nearly a third of adults lighting up. Kentucky also has the highest rates of preventable hospitalizations.
The state fared well in some other health factors, with low instances of binge drinking and violent crime.
Vermont is the nation's healthiest state, according to the report. Louisiana and Mississippi tied for the unhealthiest.