Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
Mon August 24, 2009
Union Sues to Block Illinois Layoffs
By Angela Hatton
Springfield, IL – A major union is suing to block Illinois Governor Pat Quinn's plan to lay off about 2,600 state employees. The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees is arguing that the layoffs shouldn't be allowed until the state finishes negotiating over their impact. The union also argues the layoffs would create serious safety hazards for workers at Illinois prisons. The Democratic governor says the layoffs are necessary to help balance the state budget, which is billions of dollars in the red. Quinn also wants the union to agree to unpaid furlough days for many state employees. A date hasn't been set for the union to present its case.