Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Fri July 13, 2012
Union Responds to Honeywell Plant Shutdown
United Steelworkers officials who represent the hourly workers at the Honeywell nuclear facility in Metropolis say they were not notified beforehand of the company’s decision to not re-open the plant to perform upgrades.
The plant laid off about half of the union’s 168 members since the plant shut down for maintenance in mid-May. Union officials say those workers are without health insurance. Today the Nuclear Regulatory Commission confirmed Honeywell would be performing upgrades to their Metropolis plant to prepare for extreme natural disasters, such as tornados or earthquakes.