Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri July 13, 2012
Union Responds to Honeywell Plant Shutdown
United Steelworkers officials who represent the hourly workers at the Honeywell nuclear facility in Metropolis say they were not notified beforehand of the company’s decision to not re-open the plant to perform upgrades.
The plant laid off about half of the union’s 168 members since the plant shut down for maintenance in mid-May. Union officials say those workers are without health insurance. Today the Nuclear Regulatory Commission confirmed Honeywell would be performing upgrades to their Metropolis plant to prepare for extreme natural disasters, such as tornados or earthquakes.