Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Fri July 13, 2012
Union Responds to Honeywell Plant Shutdown
United Steelworkers officials who represent the hourly workers at the Honeywell nuclear facility in Metropolis say they were not notified beforehand of the company’s decision to not re-open the plant to perform upgrades.
The plant laid off about half of the union’s 168 members since the plant shut down for maintenance in mid-May. Union officials say those workers are without health insurance. Today the Nuclear Regulatory Commission confirmed Honeywell would be performing upgrades to their Metropolis plant to prepare for extreme natural disasters, such as tornados or earthquakes.