Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Thu January 8, 2009
Unemployment Payments Increase
By Angela Hatton
Frankfort, KY – Officials at the Kentucky Education and Workforce Development Cabinet say December's unemployment insurance claims set a single month record. Last month, the system paid out nearly seventy-nine million dollars in UI claims. Seventy-five percent more people applied for assistance this year than last December. Unemployment requests haven't hit this level since January 1983.