Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Wed March 31, 2010
Unemployment Up in Every KY County
Frankfort, KY – Annual unemployment figures show jobless rates were higher in all 120 Kentucky counties for 2009. In addition, the Kentucky Office of Employment and Training reported Tuesday that 95 counties had a jobless rate at or above 10% last year. That compares with just seven counties that recorded double-digit unemployment rates in 2008. Fayette County had the Commonwealth's lowest unemployment rate overall. Calloway County ranked third lowest with 8.4%, McCracken County was sixth with almost 9%, and Carlisle and Hickman were eighth with just over 9%.
The highest annual jobless rate in 2009 was recorded in Magoffin County. Trigg County was sixth at almost 15.5%. The statistics are based on estimates and measure trends rather than an actual count of people working.