Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Wed March 31, 2010
Unemployment Up in Every KY County
Frankfort, KY – Annual unemployment figures show jobless rates were higher in all 120 Kentucky counties for 2009. In addition, the Kentucky Office of Employment and Training reported Tuesday that 95 counties had a jobless rate at or above 10% last year. That compares with just seven counties that recorded double-digit unemployment rates in 2008. Fayette County had the Commonwealth's lowest unemployment rate overall. Calloway County ranked third lowest with 8.4%, McCracken County was sixth with almost 9%, and Carlisle and Hickman were eighth with just over 9%.
The highest annual jobless rate in 2009 was recorded in Magoffin County. Trigg County was sixth at almost 15.5%. The statistics are based on estimates and measure trends rather than an actual count of people working.