Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Wed March 31, 2010
Unemployment Up in Every KY County
Frankfort, KY – Annual unemployment figures show jobless rates were higher in all 120 Kentucky counties for 2009. In addition, the Kentucky Office of Employment and Training reported Tuesday that 95 counties had a jobless rate at or above 10% last year. That compares with just seven counties that recorded double-digit unemployment rates in 2008. Fayette County had the Commonwealth's lowest unemployment rate overall. Calloway County ranked third lowest with 8.4%, McCracken County was sixth with almost 9%, and Carlisle and Hickman were eighth with just over 9%.
The highest annual jobless rate in 2009 was recorded in Magoffin County. Trigg County was sixth at almost 15.5%. The statistics are based on estimates and measure trends rather than an actual count of people working.