Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Wed March 31, 2010
Unemployment Up in Every KY County
Frankfort, KY – Annual unemployment figures show jobless rates were higher in all 120 Kentucky counties for 2009. In addition, the Kentucky Office of Employment and Training reported Tuesday that 95 counties had a jobless rate at or above 10% last year. That compares with just seven counties that recorded double-digit unemployment rates in 2008. Fayette County had the Commonwealth's lowest unemployment rate overall. Calloway County ranked third lowest with 8.4%, McCracken County was sixth with almost 9%, and Carlisle and Hickman were eighth with just over 9%.
The highest annual jobless rate in 2009 was recorded in Magoffin County. Trigg County was sixth at almost 15.5%. The statistics are based on estimates and measure trends rather than an actual count of people working.