Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Baptists Take Credit for Failure of Medical Marijuana Bills
- Murray State Renews Steve Prohm's Contract Through 2020
- Former Murray High Assistant Coach Pleads Guilty to Rape Cases
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- Battle of the Bands 2015: Congratulations BIG ATOMIC!
Fri October 5, 2012
UK faculty senate says Capilouto spending led to budget crisis
The University of Kentucky Faculty Senate says UK President Eli Capilouto's fifty million dollars in new spending following a round of layoffs this summer has created a budget crisis. The Lexington Herald-Leader reports the group sent a memo to Capilouto Thursday acknowledging dwindling state support while allegin the UK president's budget priorities have led to the crisis. Capilouto says he set those priorities after consultations with the Board of Trustees and the UK community. University officials announced 140 layoffs in June, the first in UK's history. They say another round of cuts will be decided upon before January 2013.