Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Thu August 21, 2008
TVA Nuclear Second Look
By Todd Hatton
Murray, KY – The Tennessee Valley Authority is giving a second look at finishing two nuclear reactors that the agency virtually abandoned 20 years ago in Alabama. TVA officials say the long-deferred reactors at the Bellefonte site in Scottsboro, Ala., will be studied this year as a potential new power source. TVA is planning to spend up to $10 million on the review. Bellefonte is the same location where the utility is considering building two next-generation reactors. TVA has made no firm commitments to build any of the four reactors. The utility currently operates six reactors and is working to bring online a seventh unit in Tennessee that was similarly mothballed before completed.