Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- New Details Coming for Downtown Paducah Hotel
- Kentucky Transportation Official Says No US 68/KY 80 Speed Limit Increase Until Project Complete
Thu August 21, 2008
TVA Nuclear Second Look
By Todd Hatton
Murray, KY – The Tennessee Valley Authority is giving a second look at finishing two nuclear reactors that the agency virtually abandoned 20 years ago in Alabama. TVA officials say the long-deferred reactors at the Bellefonte site in Scottsboro, Ala., will be studied this year as a potential new power source. TVA is planning to spend up to $10 million on the review. Bellefonte is the same location where the utility is considering building two next-generation reactors. TVA has made no firm commitments to build any of the four reactors. The utility currently operates six reactors and is working to bring online a seventh unit in Tennessee that was similarly mothballed before completed.