Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
Fri August 21, 2009
Trusses Moved on River Project
By Jacque Day
Gilbertsville, KY – The last major piece of a new railroad bridge crossing the Tennessee River off U-S Highway 62 and Route 641 is in place. This afternoon, with hundreds looking on, workers suspended the 4.5-million pound railroad truss nearly the length of two football fields carefully lowering it into its position on the Grand Rivers side of the waterway. U-S Army Corps of Engineers officials say the operation came off successfully and with no injuries. Workers are proceeding with cementing the truss fasteners. The Corps of Engineers had scheduled the truss placement for Wednesday, but weather conditions forced them to suspend the move to today.