Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Wed January 15, 2014
Travelers Can Forego Taking Off Shoes at Some Airports for a Fee
For a fee area travelers can now bypass taking off their shoes and removing laptops and liquids from their carry-on luggage with a new option for expedited airport security checks.
The TSA PreCheck program requires an $85 application and, if approved, lasts for five years for passengers flying through large airports like Memphis and Nashville. Memphis International Airport spokesperson Glen Thomas said PreCheck can be helpful.
“The simplest benefit is having a quicker way to get through security,” he said. “So if you have a group that’s going through in a quick and efficient fashion you really limit backups and delays and such.”
Applicants can pre-enroll online then take their application to an enrollment center, which includes one in downtown Paducah at Ensite on Broadway.
TSA PreCheck eligibility requirements include being a U.S. citizen, not having committed certain crimes and not being under a warrant. More information is available as the Transportation Security Administration’s website.