Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Thu February 13, 2014
Tow Barge Hits I-24 Bridge
The United States Coast Guard reports a tug boat pushing 15 barges struck a pier on the I-24 Ohio River Bridge last night between Paducah and Metropolis.
Around Midnight local time the Harbor Tug Robert Green was down bound when the tow struck the second pier from the Kentucky side of the river.
The pilot reported two of the barges broke free and lodged against the pier. The other barges were reported as empty.
The Coast Guard contacted the Illinois Department of Transportation, who is responsible for maintenance of the bridge.
The IDOT inspectors ran a safety check, found no signs of structural damage and provided an all clear. The Coast Guard will be interviewing the crew for an incident report.