Most Active Stories
- [Update] Who's Bringing the Beer: Owensboro Caught in Dispute
- Kentucky's Bourbon Industry Booming
- (Developing - School/Business Closings) A Moderate Risk For Severe Weather As Storms March Northeast
- Here's What Alison Grimes and Mitch McConnell Discussed in KET's Debate
- Listen Monday to Live Coverage of KET's Grimes/McConnell Debate
Thu February 13, 2014
Tow Barge Hits I-24 Bridge
The United States Coast Guard reports a tug boat pushing 15 barges struck a pier on the I-24 Ohio River Bridge last night between Paducah and Metropolis.
Around Midnight local time the Harbor Tug Robert Green was down bound when the tow struck the second pier from the Kentucky side of the river.
The pilot reported two of the barges broke free and lodged against the pier. The other barges were reported as empty.
The Coast Guard contacted the Illinois Department of Transportation, who is responsible for maintenance of the bridge.
The IDOT inspectors ran a safety check, found no signs of structural damage and provided an all clear. The Coast Guard will be interviewing the crew for an incident report.