Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- Datebook: May 10 - Anna Jarvis Leads First Mother's Day 105 Years Ago
Thu May 31, 2012
Top House leaders face off over budget, pensions
The top Democrat and top Republican in the Illinois House traded jabs yesterday in a heated confrontation over state budget issues.
Representative Tom Cross and his Republican colleagues repeatedly accused the Democratic majority of bargaining in bad faith. They used parliamentary moves to delay action and demanded explanations from House Speaker Michael Madigan. Visibly angry, Madigan suggested Republicans were trying to block the state budget because they aren't getting their way on cutting pension costs.