Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Mon December 21, 2009
Top 2009 stories
Murray, KY – January's ice storm has been named Kentucky's top story of 2009. With much of the western half of the state immobilized, the Jan. 27 storm is now considered the worst natural disaster in recent Kentucky history. It was selected the biggest story of year in voting by The Associated Press staff and AP member newspapers and broadcasters in Kentucky. Rounding out the top 5 stories were the arrest of former lawmaker Steven Nunn in the fatal shooting of his ex-fiancee, the private troubles of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino, the acquittal of former high school football coach in the death of a player during practice and the hiring of John Calipari as Kentucky basketball coach.