Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Tue April 14, 2009
TN Wine Sales Bill Fails
By Angela Hatton
Nashville, TN – A proposal to allow wine to be sold in Tennessee supermarkets has failed for the year. State Representative David Shepard withdrew the proposal from consideration in a House subcommittee today. The Democrat says the move reflects a lack of support among enough lawmakers in both Legislative chambers and a failure to reach a compromise with retailers and wholesalers. Under the state's rigid three-tier beverage control system, alcohol must go from the manufacturer to a wholesale distributor and finally to retailers. Grocery stores can't sell wine and liquor stores can't sell beer.