Most Active Stories
- City of Murray Eliminates City Administrator Position
- Workers Recovering after Explosion at Moonshine Distillery
- Kentucky Revenues Up Amid Greater Demands in Next Budget
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Man Benefits From Pump Treatment for Parkinson's Disease
Fri November 30, 2012
TN Task Force Submits School Voucher Recommendations
A school voucher task force has submitted its recommendations to Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam. Haslam appointed the nine-member task force to study how to start a school voucher program a year ago. The group includes lawmakers and representatives from both private and public schools.
The school voucher program would use state and local education funds to allow students to transfer to better public or private schools. Haslam appointed the task force because he said the issue needed to be studied before lawmakers pursue any legislation. The recommendations include discussion about accountability, private school eligibility, student eligibility, program capacity and the scholarship amount.