Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Fri November 30, 2012
TN Task Force Submits School Voucher Recommendations
A school voucher task force has submitted its recommendations to Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam. Haslam appointed the nine-member task force to study how to start a school voucher program a year ago. The group includes lawmakers and representatives from both private and public schools.
The school voucher program would use state and local education funds to allow students to transfer to better public or private schools. Haslam appointed the task force because he said the issue needed to be studied before lawmakers pursue any legislation. The recommendations include discussion about accountability, private school eligibility, student eligibility, program capacity and the scholarship amount.