Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Fri November 30, 2012
TN Task Force Submits School Voucher Recommendations
A school voucher task force has submitted its recommendations to Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam. Haslam appointed the nine-member task force to study how to start a school voucher program a year ago. The group includes lawmakers and representatives from both private and public schools.
The school voucher program would use state and local education funds to allow students to transfer to better public or private schools. Haslam appointed the task force because he said the issue needed to be studied before lawmakers pursue any legislation. The recommendations include discussion about accountability, private school eligibility, student eligibility, program capacity and the scholarship amount.