Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Thu January 28, 2010
TN Smoking Insurance Leg
Nashville, TN – Tennessee House Democratic Caucus Chairman Mike Turner is abandoning a proposal to refuse health insurance to new state employees who smoke. Turner announced on the House floor Wednesday that he is withdrawing the proposal under the "strong encouragement" of fellow Democratic Rep. John Litz, a tobacco farmer from Morristown.
The measure would have denied health insurance eligibility for tobacco-using state workers hired after Nov. 2.