Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Tue January 28, 2014
TN Senate Delays Vote On Latest AG Election Proposal
The Tennessee state Senate has put off a vote about a proposal seeking to change the way Tennessee's attorney general gains office.
Under a proposed constitutional amendment sponsored by Republican Senator Mae Beavers of Mt. Juliet, the attorney general would stand for popular election rather than being appointed by the state Supreme Court.
Critics say making attorney general candidates stand for statewide election would require them to seek heavy campaign contributions that could threaten the nonpartisan and independent nature of the office.
Beavers rescheduled her resolution for a Feb. 3 vote.