Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue August 20, 2013
TN Sen. Corker Criticized For Working With Democrats
U.S. Senator Bob Corker of Tennessee insists his willingness to work with Democrats doesn't make him a moderate, but ardent conservatives think otherwise. According to The Tennessean the Republican came under fire throughout an eight-stop swing through Middle Tennessee during the congressional recess earlier this month.
At one stop, Corker sparred with a Nashville lawyer over the senator's plan to shut down Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the nation's main backers of home mortgages. President Barack Obama endorsed the proposal he developed with a Democratic senator to replace the mortgage giants.
Corker's amendment to increase spending on security along the U.S.-Mexican border helped win passage in the Senate of an immigration bill that is loathed by tea party activists. Corker describes himself as a "pragmatic thought leader" who went to Washington to focus on business matters.