Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Tue August 20, 2013
TN Sen. Corker Criticized For Working With Democrats
U.S. Senator Bob Corker of Tennessee insists his willingness to work with Democrats doesn't make him a moderate, but ardent conservatives think otherwise. According to The Tennessean the Republican came under fire throughout an eight-stop swing through Middle Tennessee during the congressional recess earlier this month.
At one stop, Corker sparred with a Nashville lawyer over the senator's plan to shut down Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the nation's main backers of home mortgages. President Barack Obama endorsed the proposal he developed with a Democratic senator to replace the mortgage giants.
Corker's amendment to increase spending on security along the U.S.-Mexican border helped win passage in the Senate of an immigration bill that is loathed by tea party activists. Corker describes himself as a "pragmatic thought leader" who went to Washington to focus on business matters.