Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Tue August 20, 2013
TN Sen. Corker Criticized For Working With Democrats
U.S. Senator Bob Corker of Tennessee insists his willingness to work with Democrats doesn't make him a moderate, but ardent conservatives think otherwise. According to The Tennessean the Republican came under fire throughout an eight-stop swing through Middle Tennessee during the congressional recess earlier this month.
At one stop, Corker sparred with a Nashville lawyer over the senator's plan to shut down Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the nation's main backers of home mortgages. President Barack Obama endorsed the proposal he developed with a Democratic senator to replace the mortgage giants.
Corker's amendment to increase spending on security along the U.S.-Mexican border helped win passage in the Senate of an immigration bill that is loathed by tea party activists. Corker describes himself as a "pragmatic thought leader" who went to Washington to focus on business matters.