Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Tue August 20, 2013
TN Sen. Corker Criticized For Working With Democrats
U.S. Senator Bob Corker of Tennessee insists his willingness to work with Democrats doesn't make him a moderate, but ardent conservatives think otherwise. According to The Tennessean the Republican came under fire throughout an eight-stop swing through Middle Tennessee during the congressional recess earlier this month.
At one stop, Corker sparred with a Nashville lawyer over the senator's plan to shut down Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the nation's main backers of home mortgages. President Barack Obama endorsed the proposal he developed with a Democratic senator to replace the mortgage giants.
Corker's amendment to increase spending on security along the U.S.-Mexican border helped win passage in the Senate of an immigration bill that is loathed by tea party activists. Corker describes himself as a "pragmatic thought leader" who went to Washington to focus on business matters.