Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Mon December 3, 2012
TN School Day Could Be Extended
Students in some Tennessee public schools will add at least 300 learning hours in a pilot program making the school day a little longer. WPSD reports five states including Tennessee will participate in the three-year pilot program affecting almost 20,000 students in 40 schools. Those involved with see their day get longer, their school year extended, or both.
Federal and state funds will cover the costs in addition to grants from the Ford Foundation and the National Center on Time and Learning. Education officials say students get access to a more well-rounded curriculum if they spend more time in the classroom. The move could also make US schools more competitive globally. Other participating states include Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York.