Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Tue October 29, 2013
TN To Review Textbooks
Tennessee lawmakers are planning a hearing on the panel that vets textbooks for use in public schools.
The Senate's education and government operations committees are scheduled to hold two days of joint hearings on the Tennessee Textbook Commission beginning next Monday.
Republican Senate Education Chairwoman Dolores Gresham says she wants to avoid what she called "indoctrination".
The 10-member textbook selection panel recommends its selections to the State Board of Education. Local school systems then choose which textbooks to adopt from the official state textbook list.