Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Wed July 31, 2013
TN Health Department Offering Breastfeeding Support
The Tennessee state Health Department is promoting World Breastfeeding Week by reminding mothers that there are designated breastfeeding experts available in all of Tennessee's county health departments. According to the department, many mothers get off to a good start with breastfeeding but drop off in the weeks and months after delivery. Traditionally family members have provided support for breastfeeding mothers, but as our society changes, that support often is not available.
Numerous studies have found that peer counselors improve breastfeeding rates. A list of county health departments with breastfeeding experts is available on the Department of Health's website along with links to more information about breastfeeding. The department also reminds mothers that state law protects the right to breastfeed in any location and requires employers to accommodate breastfeeding mothers at work.