Most Active Stories
- While Dangerous Predicted Winter Weather Won't Contend With '09 Ice Storm
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- EKU Plans Response To White Supremacist Flyer Posted In Classroom Buildings
- 3 Educators Selected For KY Teacher Hall of Fame
Wed July 31, 2013
TN Health Department Offering Breastfeeding Support
The Tennessee state Health Department is promoting World Breastfeeding Week by reminding mothers that there are designated breastfeeding experts available in all of Tennessee's county health departments. According to the department, many mothers get off to a good start with breastfeeding but drop off in the weeks and months after delivery. Traditionally family members have provided support for breastfeeding mothers, but as our society changes, that support often is not available.
Numerous studies have found that peer counselors improve breastfeeding rates. A list of county health departments with breastfeeding experts is available on the Department of Health's website along with links to more information about breastfeeding. The department also reminds mothers that state law protects the right to breastfeed in any location and requires employers to accommodate breastfeeding mothers at work.