Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri June 12, 2009
TN Guns Bill Sponsor to Stick with It
By Carrie Pond
Nashville, TN – The Senate sponsor of a bill to allow handguns in city or county parks in Tennessee says she's not recalling it and will take a chance on a veto. Republican Sen. Mae Beavers says she believes the measure will get enough votes in both chambers for an override. On Thursday, the House sponsor said he was abandoning the provision in exchange for Gov. Phil Bredesen's commitment not to veto a separate bill about weapons in restaurants. But Beavers says there was never an agreement. Last month, Bredesen vetoed a bill to allow guns to be carried in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. That veto was overwhelmingly overridden in both chambers of the Legislature.