Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri June 12, 2009
TN Guns Bill Sponsor to Stick with It
By Carrie Pond
Nashville, TN – The Senate sponsor of a bill to allow handguns in city or county parks in Tennessee says she's not recalling it and will take a chance on a veto. Republican Sen. Mae Beavers says she believes the measure will get enough votes in both chambers for an override. On Thursday, the House sponsor said he was abandoning the provision in exchange for Gov. Phil Bredesen's commitment not to veto a separate bill about weapons in restaurants. But Beavers says there was never an agreement. Last month, Bredesen vetoed a bill to allow guns to be carried in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. That veto was overwhelmingly overridden in both chambers of the Legislature.