Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Wed September 25, 2013
TN Digitizing 1 Million Pages Of Historical Newspapers
The Tennessee State Library is adding more than 1 million newspaper pages to its free online collection. The newly added historical newspapers from Greeneville, Jonesborough, Memphis, Sweetwater and Winchester date from the 1850s to almost 1900.
The joint Chronicling America project with the University of Tennessee had previously digitized more than 120,000 pages of newspapers from the Civil War era. The Chronicling America website is hosted by the Library of Congress and displays images of entire newspapers along with an online index.