Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Wed September 25, 2013
TN Digitizing 1 Million Pages Of Historical Newspapers
The Tennessee State Library is adding more than 1 million newspaper pages to its free online collection. The newly added historical newspapers from Greeneville, Jonesborough, Memphis, Sweetwater and Winchester date from the 1850s to almost 1900.
The joint Chronicling America project with the University of Tennessee had previously digitized more than 120,000 pages of newspapers from the Civil War era. The Chronicling America website is hosted by the Library of Congress and displays images of entire newspapers along with an online index.