Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Fri January 22, 2010
TN December Unemployment Rate Rises to 10.9%
Nashville, TN – The Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development says the state's unemployment rate rose to almost 11% in December. That's up three-quarters of a percent from the November rate.
According to the Business Survey, the state's manufacturing jobs saw the biggest monthly losses, declining by 4,300. The mining and construction industries lost 3,900 jobs. The largest increases were in retail, which added 1,700 jobs. Meanwhile jobs in health care and social assistance increased by 8,700. The national unemployment rate for December was 10 percent.