Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Fri January 22, 2010
TN December Unemployment Rate Rises to 10.9%
Nashville, TN – The Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development says the state's unemployment rate rose to almost 11% in December. That's up three-quarters of a percent from the November rate.
According to the Business Survey, the state's manufacturing jobs saw the biggest monthly losses, declining by 4,300. The mining and construction industries lost 3,900 jobs. The largest increases were in retail, which added 1,700 jobs. Meanwhile jobs in health care and social assistance increased by 8,700. The national unemployment rate for December was 10 percent.