Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed July 24, 2013
TN ASD Students Show Progress After First Year
Tennessee’s Achievement School District says its students are showing signs of progress a year after it started operating some of the state's lowest performing schools. The district’s goal is to move the bottom 5% of schools in the state to the top 25% in five years.
ASD officials say the district earned a "level 5" growth rating and that its students made solid gains in math, science and social studies. Reading scores dropped, but officials say schools have taken steps to turn that around with changes that include hiring literacy experts and building schedules with extra time in reading and writing. The district is part of the state's national Race to the Top initiatives.