Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
Thu July 5, 2012
TN Agency overseeing parole processes gets new name
The agency overseeing the parole process in Tennessee now has a new name. The Board of Probation and Parole is now the Board of Parole.
The change was included in the public safety plan approved by lawmakers during the recent General Assembly session. Under the plan, Tennessee probation and parole officers and other support staff are now employees of the state Department of Correction. Community supervision of adult offenders has also been transferred to the Correction Department. Despite the changes, officials say the board remains an autonomous agency. The board will still conduct hearings and decide on granting or denying parole.