Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Mon April 15, 2013
Thefts Pick Up at Hickman Farm Supplier
Fulton County Sheriff Bobby Hopper says he suspects ammonia thefts have increased at an agricultural supplier's tank farm because the thieves sent to jail earlier are now out again.
Thefts of anhydrous ammonia have picked up at Speed Ag in Hickman. The substance is a popular farm fertilizer also used in making methamphetamine.
Hopper tells WPSD he remembers how frequent the previous thefts were. He says as soon as deputies arrested one person and took them to jail, others would show up. The sheriff left deputies hiding to take the later thieves into custody.
Business owner Shaw Speed says new valves make it harder to steal ammonia. He now has video surveillance of his lot and the sheriff is stepping up patrols.