Most Active Stories
- Owensboro Airport Expanding
- Paducah’s Mail Processing Facility Set to Close, Could Lead to Longer Delivery Times
- Kentucky Lawmakers Attack Climate Change Science In Discussion on Carbon Regulations
- Lawmakers Skewer EPA, Obama Over Coal Regulations
- Conway: Americans for Prosperity Plan to 'Buy' Ky. House
Mon April 15, 2013
Thefts Pick Up at Hickman Farm Supplier
Fulton County Sheriff Bobby Hopper says he suspects ammonia thefts have increased at an agricultural supplier's tank farm because the thieves sent to jail earlier are now out again.
Thefts of anhydrous ammonia have picked up at Speed Ag in Hickman. The substance is a popular farm fertilizer also used in making methamphetamine.
Hopper tells WPSD he remembers how frequent the previous thefts were. He says as soon as deputies arrested one person and took them to jail, others would show up. The sheriff left deputies hiding to take the later thieves into custody.
Business owner Shaw Speed says new valves make it harder to steal ammonia. He now has video surveillance of his lot and the sheriff is stepping up patrols.